Web 2.0 means that libraries focus on users and make timely changes with their tools and materials so that patrons can access more materials easier.
I strongly agree with R. Anderson that the "come to us model" is outdated. SAPL is starting to realize this with the Outreach Unit and starting up outreach to seniors as well. Sometimes our programming seems to follow the same "come to me model" though with little response from patrons.
One aspect of 2.0 that I really think is valuable is utilizing users for feedback on developments and changes with a library system and its technology. M. Stephens' article discusses this issue but the Library Manifesto really emphasizes this need.
I was really wondering how many patrons did we solicit feedback on the new SAPL website?? Then did we test it as changes were being developed to incorporate more timely changes based on the feedback. The biggest blatant error I see is that to get to a calendar of events -- you have to click on MORE EVENTS which doesn't even mention the calendar???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment